Guest post by Stephanie Gutzmer, Au.D., E-RYT
Beginning your addiction treatment journey and staying on the road to recovery can be difficult. Battling and overcoming addiction requires you to continually be attentive to working through your thoughts, emotions, and actions to avoid relapse. It requires a host of tools to get sober and maintain sobriety. However, these overcoming addiction quotes may bring you strength and motivation to continue your addiction recovery.
25 Inspiring Overcoming Addiction Quotes That Will Inspire You To Make It Another Day
- “You know you’re an alcoholic when you misplace things… like a decade.” – Paul Williams
- “The mentality and behavior of drug addicts and alcoholics is wholly irrational until you understand that they are completely powerless over their addiction and unless they have structured help, they have no hope.” – Russell Brand
- “Addiction is the only prison where the locks are on the inside.” – Unknown
- “Drugs take you to hell, disguised as heaven.” – Donald Lyn Frost
- “Addiction: the disease that makes you too selfish to see the havoc that you created or care about the people whose lives you shattered.” – Unknown
Fighting addiction quotes that outline the misleading appeal of addiction:
- “Addiction begins with the hope that something ‘out there’ can instantly fill up the emptiness inside.” – Jean Kilbourne
- “Addiction is just a way of trying to get at something else. Something bigger. Call it transcendence if you want, but it’s like a rate in a maze. We all want the same thing. We all have this hole. The thing you want offers relief, but it’s a trap.” – Tess Callahan
- “Addictions started out like magical pets, pocket monsters. They did extraordinary tricks, showed you thinks you hadn’t seen, were fun. But cam, through some gradual dire alchemy, to make decisions for you. Eventually, they were making your most crucial life decisions. And they were less intelligent than goldfish.” – William Gibson
- “At first, addiction is maintained by pleasure, but the intensity of the pleasure gradually diminishes and addiction is then maintained by the avoidance of pain.” – Frank Tallis
- “Recovery is an acceptance that your life is in shambles, and you have to change it.” – James Lee Curtis
- “People spend a lifetime searching for happiness; looking for peace. They chase idle dreams, addictions, religions, even other people, hoping to fill the emptiness that plagues them. The irony is the only place they ever needed to search was within.” – Ramona L. Anderson
- “I got sober. I stopped killing myself with alcohol. I began to think: ‘Wait a minute – if I can stop doing this, what are the possibilities?’ And slowly it dawned on me that it was maybe worth the risk.” – Craig Ferguson
- “We honor ourselves when we speak out for recovery. We show the world that recover matters because it brings hope and peace into the lives of individuals and their loves ones.” – Beth Wilson
- “If you can quit for a day, you can quit for a lifetime.” – Benjamin Alire Saenz
- “Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending.” – Carl Bard
- “Remember just because you hit bottom doesn’t mean you have to stay there.” – Robert Downey Jr.
Words of inspiration for drug addicts that give you strength to keep going:
- “Experience is not what happens to you, it is what you do with what happens to you.” – Aldous Huxley
- “Hardships often prepare ordinary people for an extraordinary destiny.” – C.S. Lewis
- “You can come out of the furnace of trouble two ways” if you let it consume you, you come out a cinder; but there is a kind of metal which refuses to be consumed, and comes out a star.” – Jean Church
- “Sometimes we motivate ourselves by thinking of what we want to become. Sometimes we motivate ourselves by thinking about who we don’t ever want to be again.” – Shane Niemeyer
- “Nothing is impossible; the word itself says, ‘I’m Possible!” – Audrey Hepburn
- “When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it.” – Henry Ford
- “Recovery: It will be challenging. It will be worth it. You will relapse, and that’s ok, as long as you keep fighting.” – Unknown
- “It does not matter how slowly you go, as long as you do not stop.” – Confucius
- “There is no shame in beginning again, for you to get a chance to build bigger and better than before.” – Unknown
Inspirational quotes can be powerful motivation for you to get and stay clean. Print out some of these overcoming addiction quotes and place them were you can easily see them. Allow these quotes to be you mantra when you need a little help to get through the day.
Most don’t recognize they have an addiction until they try to quit.
There is a reason acknowledging you have an addiction and taking the first steps to regain control of your life is lauded as a hard first step. While this chapter of your is definitely scary, you are not alone nor do you have to do this on your own.
If you or a loved one are struggling with addiction, there is hope. Recovery is possible with help and support. There are plenty of addiction treatment approaches to help you gain control. Speak with one of our therapists in our Glen Ellyn or Jefferson Park office to discuss your addiction recovery options today.
Stephanie Gutzmer, Au.D., E-RYT
Stephanie is a certified yoga instructor and life coach. She also holds a doctorate in audiology, specializing in tinnitus. Her unique background and training allow her to help support others to promote health and well-being in their lives.